The Cadwallader family continued on their winning way in the ridden classes of the Welsh section at the Land Rover Horse of the Year Show.
Brooke took out the Linton Family’s Aranui Zest Memorial Ridden Open Purebred Welsh Pony or Cob Exhibit of the Year, also winning best rider on the way. Then in the Jo Lochend Purebred Welsh First Ridden Pony of the Year, it was Mia’s turn for a title: the best presented and the best rider prizes. In both cases, the pony involved was the 14-year-old Nanteos Autumn Guardsman.
“I’ve been riding him since I was three,” said 11-year-old Brooke after her win. “He’s always been there for me, he won’t do anything to hurt you.”
The lovely Vale Demoiselle also had a good afternoon, winning the Cottle Contracting Ridden Partbred Welsh Lead Rein Pony of the Year for Charli Sabine with Kirsten Seamer in charge of the leading, and coming second in the Red Fox Chaff Partbred Welsh First Ridden Pony which was won by KS Precious Gem and Paige Fitzgerald.
The win in the lead rein pony class was a special one, as this is only the second show for horse-mad Charli on the pony. “She has ridden the pony a couple of months on and off,” says Kirsten Seamer, Charli’s mum. Charli is just seven years old.
Paige, who has just turned nine, has had KS Precious Gem – called ‘Gem’ at home – since July. She also loves riding, and is relishing jumping cavalletti at home. The family travelled up from West Melton, Christchurch, for the show.
There was a big field in the Cashmere Park Stud Tryphena Carter Purebred Lead Rein class, so Eva Norton-Collins did well to take the win. “I have won covers before but never won a title,” says Eva, who also won the Best Rider award. She attends Waimauku School and has two ponies at the show. Mum was busy helping Eva’s three sisters who are also competing, so Kire Gilmour was on hand to do the leading. Kire, from Scotland originally, also helps train the children.
In the KS Show Horses Ridden Open Partbred Welsh Exhibit of the Year, it was a win to Paris Masterson and KS Rose D’Or. From Ardmore, Auckland, Paris is having her last season on ponies, and is also competing in show hunter and other showing classes. KS Rose D’Or is 14 years old, by Penmain Posh out of Rose of Astrell.
KS Show Horses Ridden Open Partbred Welsh Exhibit of the Year
- KS Rose D’or, Paris Masterton
- KS Precious Gem, Abbey Sinclaire
- KS Show N Tell, Sophie Frew
- Coraview Kingston, Amelia Malcolm-Solly (also best rider)
- Kincora Juliet, Eva Norton-Collins
- Glendale Nightlight, Emily Hastings
Best Presented: Taurimu Renaissance, Grace Purdie
Linton Family’s Aranui Zest Memorial Ridden Open Purebred Welsh Pony or Cob Exhibit of the Year
- Nanteos Autumn Guardsman, Brooke Cadwallader (also best rider)
- Nanteos Autumn Gwyndaf, Olivia Annabell (Best presented)
- Taurimu Portrait, Ruby McLean-Smith
- Brecon Bach Seal, Lucy Dagnall
- Charlies Angels, Riley Chase
- Sovereign Spring Charm, Alexia Nolan
Cottle Contracting Ridden Partbred Welsh Lead Rein Pony of the Year
- Vale Demoiselle, Charli Sabine (also Best Rider)
- KS Touch of Romance, Haiden Rankin (Best presented)
- Riverwood Total Eclipse, Molly Allen
- Deeplake Fascination, Victoria Haines
- Willowpark China Blue, Eenie Sanders-Swabey
- KS Princess Royal, Maddy Bostock
Cashmer Park Stud Tryphena Carter Ridden Purebred Welsh Lead Rein Pony of the Year
- Aintree Thumberlina, Eva Norton -Collins (Best Rider)
- Waimai Captivation, Harriet Speedy (Best Presented)
- Whistledown Lily Marlane, William Preston
- Aranui Pembroke, Maddy Bostock
- Charlies Angels, Riley Chase
- Pied Piper Top Shelf,, Kendall Hamilton
Red Fox Chaff Partbred Welsh First Ridden Pony
- KS Precious Gem, Paige Fitzgerald
- Vale Demoiselle, Lily Biggs
- Taurimu Da Vince, Zoe Garland (Best Rider)
- Willowmead Town Cryer, Livvie Allen
Jo Lochend Purebred Welsh First Ridden Pony of the Year
- Nanteos Autumn Guardsman, Mia Cadwallader
- Mangakaraa Holly, Addison Dingwall
- Aranui Pembroke, Paige Fitzgerald